Med. pravo., 2016; 2(18): 18-43
UDС: 61:001:608.1 (479.24)
рrofessor, doctor Baku State University, Azerbaijan unit of UNESCO Chair in Bioethics, Azerbaijan Bioethics and Medical Law Association
рrofessor, doctor Harvard Medical School, Boston Children’s Hospital
PhD student, Institute on Human Rights, Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences
Azerbaijan is a modern, rapidly developing democratic country at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. The country is currently harmoniz-ing its national legislation with international norms, and reforming its national scientific and medical. Higher standards of medical research and education will enhance public health and protect human rights to life and health that are specified in Azerbaijan Constitution. In order to raise its medical research and education to interna-tional standards, Azerbaijani scientists and authorities are studying the experience of other countries and taking measures to implement international standards and norms in the country’s national legisla-tion. Cooperation with the WHO, UNESCO and other international and foreign organizations, both on regional and global level is creat-ing steps to achieve this goal. These steps include, for example, cre-ation of the Azerbaijan unit of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics and teaching bioethics based on UNESCO’s Bioethics Core Curriculum. Another step is providing research fellowship for young Azerbaijani professionals to study at leading medical research and educational centers around the world including Harvard Medical School and Bos-ton Children’s Hospital in the USA, and Koc University in Turkey.A complementary step is the development of local bioethical research, including its legal, ethical and scientific foundations. Adherence to ethical principles in different spheres of life is currently one of the most challenging social and professional issues, especially, this is true with the development of new medical technologies in recent decades and the development of new ethical and legal stan-dards, issues involving different areas of health and medicine and their relation to human rights. Bioethics in Azerbaijan is develop-ing as an important field that deals with universal moral principles within the context of both national laws and the UNESCO Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights.
Key words: bioethics, medical law, bioethics education, bioethical principles, human rights, higher medical education,medical science in Azerbaijan
1. Ministry of Education. The List of higher educational institutions selected for the purpose of education of Azerbaijani youth abroad. Retrieved from www.edu.gov.az and State program on the education of young Azerbaijanis in foreign countries in the years of 2007-2015. Retrieved from http://www.xaricdetehsil.edu.gov.az accessed 10.02.2015.
2. President of Azerbaijan. Ilham Aliyev. AZERBAIJAN 2020 LOOK INTO THE FUTURE CONCEPT OF DEVELOPMENT. Retrieved from http://www.president.az/files/future_en.pdf accessed 25.02.2015.
3. APA news. 2016 declared Year of multiculturalism in Azerbaijan. accessed 16.01.2016.
4. ANAS. Institutes and Organizations. http://science.gov.az/institutes accessed 10.05.2015
5. The Bologna Process and the European Higher Education Area. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/education/policy/higher-education/bologna-process_en.htm
6. US Department of Education U.S. Department of Education. USNEI
7. Structure of U.S. Education http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-structure-us.html accessed 15.01.2016
8. Azerbaijan Medical University. History. http://www.amu.edu.az/az/pages/2/12 accessed 09.05.2015
9. Ministry of Health. Order dated 27 June, 2014. http://www.sehiyye.gov.az/files/pdf/emr_2014_56.pdf accessed 09.05.2015
10. The Ministry of Health. Order on residency admission plan for academic years 2014 of 27 June, 2014. Retrieved from http://www.sehiyye.gov.az
11. State Commission on Students Admission. Statistical analysis of results of admission to residency for 2013, 2014 academic year. Retrieved from http://tqdk.gov.az/exam/residency accessed 07.04.2015
12. The Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic. Rules of organization and content of residency education. The Collection of Legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic, 2010. amended in 2013
13. Supreme Attestation Commission under the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved from http://www.aak.gov.az
14. Collection of Legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic, 2003, No. 2, article 89.
15. Supreme Attestation Commission under the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. The requirements to scientific publications recommended for publication of main results of dissertations. Retrieved from http://www.aak.gov.az accessed 27.04.2015
16. Supreme Attestation Commission under the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. The requirements to scientific publications recommended for publication of main results of dissertations. http://www.aak.gov.az accessed 27.04.2015
17. The Ministry of Health of Azerbaijan Republic. Law on Protection of Public Health.literal translation Law on Protection of Health of Population. Retrieved from http://sehiyye.gov.a/ehalinin_saqlamliqi_qorunmasi_haqqinda_qanun.html accessed 03.03.2015
18. The WMA. WMA Declaration of Helsinki Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/b3
19. Suggestions for improvement of the national legislation of Azerbaijan in the sphere of protection of the patients rights, materialsof the dissertation work by Galandarli N.H. approved and successfully defended at the Institute on Human Rights of the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences in 2015 under the supervision of Professor, MD. Mammadov V.G. Baku, 2015
20. The Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic. Resolution No 083 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic of 30.04.2010 on approval of rules of Conduct of scientific research, preclinical studies and clinical trials of medicines.http://www.cabmin.gov.az accessed 01.03.2015
21. The Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic. Resolution No 083 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic of 30.04.2010 on approval of rules of Conduct of scientific research, preclinical studies and clinical trials of medicines. Retrieved from http://www.cabmin.gov.az accessed 01.03.2015
22. World Medical Association. Medical Ethics Manual end edition, 2009
23. Medical Ethics Past, Present and Future. Heather MacDougall, G. Ross Langley. Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Web. Retrieved from www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/resources/bioethics/primers/medical_ethics accesed 11.02.2015
24. Intervention and Reflection. Basic Issues in Medical Ethics.Eights edition. Ronald Munson. p. 54
25. A Short History of Medical Ethics. By Albert R. Jonsen. OXFORD University Press, 2000
26. Mammadov V.G. Bioethics Azerbaijan. Chapter in book. R.G.Beran, Legal and Forensic Medicine. Springer Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, p. 1173
27. Medical Ethics. Past, Present and Future. Heather MacDougall, G. Ross Langley. Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Retrieved from http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/resources/bioethics/primers/medical_ethics accesed 11.02.2015
28. Erich H. Loewy (1989) Textbook of Medical Ethics. Springer Science, Business Media
29. Mammadov V., Bandaliyeva A., Appearance of bioethics in the works of the Medieval Azerbaijan scientists. Renaissance XXI Century Scientific publication of the Institute of Azerbaijani Statehood and International Relations, no. 160. September.October 2011. Baku. 310 in Azerbaijani
30. NIH. Fogarty International Center. Fogarty International Research Ethics Initiative Turkey Central Asia http://www.fic.nih.gov/Grants/Search/Pages/bioethicsR25TW009248.aspx accessed 15.01.2015
31. NIH. Fogarty International Center. Fogarty awards bioethics grants. Retrieved from http://www.fic.nih.gov/News/GlobalHealthMatters/may-june-2012/Pages/bioethicsgrant-awards-2012.aspx accessed 15.01.2015
32. Mammadov V., Mustafayeva A. The role and importance of bioethical issues in medical law lecturing. Program and Materials of the VI All Ukranian V International Scientific Practical Conference on Medical Law, Lviv, Ukraine, 26, 27, 28 April 2012, p. 219
33. S.P. Marks Human Rights: A Brief Introduction. Harvard University. 2013 p.3
34. Mammadov V., A. Mustafayeva, I.Ahmadov (2012). Bioethical principles key methodological tools in modern teaching of medical law. Program and Materials of the VI AllUkranian V International Scientific Practical Conference on Medical Law, Lviv, Ukraine, 26-28 April 2012, p. 225
35. National Institutes of Health. Exploring Bioethics. NIH Curriculum. Supplement Series. Grades 9, 12. Education Development Center, Inc. 2009
36. General Conference 31st session, Paris 2001.31 C. 31 C. 55. 17 October 2001. Original French.
37. Item 5.11 of the agenda BIOETHICS PROGRAMME. PRIORITIES AND PROSPECTS. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0012/001239/123958E.pdfaccessed 03.012015
38. Bureau of Public Information, Bioethics UNESCO. Retrieved from http://www.unesco.org/bpi/pdf/memobpi52_bioethics_en.pdf
39. UNESCO. UNESCOs General Conference adopts Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights. Retrieved from http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.phpURL_ID=30275&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html accessed 03.02.2015
40. Editors H. ten Have, Michèle Jean (2009) The UNESCO Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights Background, Principles and Application. Ethics series. UNESCO.
41. UNESCO. Eighteenth Session of IBC. http://www.unesco.org/new/en/social-and-humansciences/themes/bioethics/international-bioethics-committee/ibc-sessions/eighteenthsession-baku-2011
42. The Azerbaijan National Committee for Bioethics, Science and Ethics of technology. The charter. Baku-2003 in Azerbaijani
43. Bioethics.Azerbaijan. Chapter in book R.G.Beran, ed., Legal and Forensic Medicine. Springer.Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, p. 1080
44. Alexander Stanislavovich Sozinov. A forum of ethical committees of countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States the international organization on protection of health of participants of biomedical researches. Kazan medical magazine. 2008, volume 89, No. 4
45. Centers of Bioethics. Forum for Ethics Committees in the Commonwealth of Independent States. Retrieved from http://www.bioethics.ru/eng/allcenters/id/127
46. Conference materials Health Legislation in Human Rights Protection and Access to Medicines in Health Research in the CIS. Organizing Committee of International Conference. Saint Petersburg.
47. Development of system of ethical examination of biomedical researches in the State Parties of the CIS http://www.bioethics.ru/rus/allcenters/id/127 in Russian
48. Azerbaijan Bioethics and Medical Law Association. World Association for Medical Law, Vol. 4, Issue 16, January Mart 2013, thewaml.com, p. 11
49. Recent Developments in Bioethics and Medical Law in Azerbaijan Assessed by UNESCO as Pioneer in the Region.World Association for Medical Law Newsletter April. June 2012, vol. 4, issue 2, 13, p.4
50. Television Projects. IHR ihr-az.org/index.php
51. The current state of bioethics education in the system of medical education in the CIS member countries. Saint. Petersburg. 2010 ed. O.I. Kubar.
52. Vugar Mammadov (2009) Content of bioethics education in medical schools of Azerbaijan.Program and Book of Abstracts.UNESCO Chair in Bioethics. International Conference on Bioethics Education Contents, Methods, Trends. May 2, 5, Canaan Spa Zefat, Israel.