Med. pravo., 2015; 1(15): 36-52
UDC: 378:602.4:608.5 (560)
PhD candidate. Ankara University Biotechnology Institute
MSc candidate, Ankara University Biotechnology Institute
Professor, Ankara University Faculty of Medicine
Professor, Ankara University Faculty of Languages, History and GeographyCorrespondence Address: Ankara University Biotechnology Institute, Golbasi 50. Yil Campus, L Blok, 2nd Floor, 06830, Ankara, Turkey
Biotechnology and Postgraduate Course of Bioethics in the Republic of Turkey: Some Aspects
Ethics course is one of the courses, which has been given in Spring terms at the Ankara University Biotechnology Institute since 2005, is reviewed in this article. Ethics course has been taken by 245 students between 2005–2013 years in the Institute. This study is mainly aimed two purposes. First of all, demographic information of the registered students is demonstrated using the tables. In addition, opinions of the students about the course are reviewed using feedback forms that fi lled out by the student. The results encouraged us to make conclusions that Ethics course is an indispensable course and meet the expectations of the students, although attendance to the course decreased recent years. For the future, to evaluate the contribution of ethics course on careers of graduate students of biotechnology area using a survey prepared by the persons, who are working on this study, is aimed.
Key words: ethics education, biotechnology, Turkey
1. Arda B. (2004) Ethical respects of biotechnology and the case of Turkey. J Int Biotechnol Law, 1(5), p. 210.
2. Mayhew BW, Murphy PR. (2009) The impact of ethics education on reporting behavior. Journal of Business Ethics, 86, p. 397.
3. Ozturk Turkmen H. (2009) Medical Ethics Education and the Turkish Experience: Medical Education. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci, 29(1), p 246.
4. Novossiovola T, Sture J. (2012) Towards the responsible conduct of scientifc research: is ethics education enough. Med Conf Surviv, 28(1), p. 73.
5. Ankara University Biotechnology Institute (homepage on the Internet). 2014 (cited 2014 May 20) Retrieved from http://biotek.ankara.edu.tr
6. Arda B, Erbas H. (2007) Ethics education in graduate, master and doctorate levels. presented paper on biotechnology and ethics course UNESCO regional experts meeting. March 5, 6, Istanbul, Turkey. (personal interview)